A PhD or Doctor of Philosophy is an advanced research degree. A PhD student conducts a major research project that is original within the discipline and presents the results in the form of a thesis. A PhD research is designed to create advanced knowledge. Once completed, the thesis is examined by experts in the field of the research.
:: What are the areas of research or specializations offered by OYAGSB?
Our faculty members are dedicated to research at the frontiers of their fields. Students may choose to concentrate in one of the available fields of study, which among others include Management, Accounting, Banking, Finance, Insurance, Marketing, Technology Management, Operations Management, Entreprenuership, and Human Resource Management. Other specialized fields offered include accounting information systems, Islamic banking and finance, supply chain management, and logistics and transportation.
:: What are the advantages of doing a PhD in OYAGSB?
UUM is the premier Management University in Malaysia and has been a leader in management-related research in this country since its founding in 1984. OYAGSB is the right place for those seeking academic research in the area of business management. More importantly, the intensity of the Research Programme via its systematic Doctoral Training Series and other Research Series demands energy and enthusiasm in the pursuit of greater understanding of the body of knowledge. Such preparation reaches its culmination in the original research presented in a candidate's thesis, and conferral of the Doctor of Philosophy. UUM is also unique compared to its peer institutions. With the college system practiced by UUM, cross-disciplinary study is frequent and encouraged. Regular consultations between students and supervisors are also instrumental in helping the former to map a blueprint for study that reflects a student's unique interests. OYAGSB invites diversity in the scholarly community. This is evidenced by a significant number of research students that have joined the PhD programme from abroad, and a variety of personal and professional backgrounds is also represented. A profile of the candidates can be found in the Research Students Profile section of OYAGSB website.
:: Can I register on a part-time basis?
You may register for a part-time study for all or part of your candidacy. However, due to Immigration Service requirements, international students are not allowed to register as a part-time student.
:: What is the normal duration of a PhD study at OYAGSB?
Full-time students will have to complete their study between 4 to 10 semesters and part-time students shall take 6 to 14 semesters to complete. Where a student is a part-timer for the entire period, the maximum time allowed is seven years. This extended time does not apply if, at any time during the PhD course of study, a student undergoes a full-time basis. Where there is a doubt as to whether you have studied on a full-time or part-time basis, then the matter will be resolved by reference to the record held on the University's student database, which is the official record of the course of study.
:: When is the student intake for the PhD programme?
The student intake is carried out twice a year, that is, in September and March. However, the application for our PhD programme is open all year round.
:: What is the structure of the PhD programme?
OYAGSB provides a structured PhD programme to assist candidates in successfully completing their research. The School continuously conducts research courses, research training series, workshops, colloquiums and symposiums.
Research Courses: Students pursuing the PhD programme are expected to have sufficient research knowledge and skills to enable them to conduct their research. Students who do not possess such knowledge and skills are required to register and pass the following two research courses:
- SZRZ6014 Research Methodology
- SCLE6014 Academic Writing
- Any other courses determined by the supervisor or Academic Committe (If any)
OYAGSB also organizes a PhD symposium every semester. During this symposiums, a prominent speaker will be invited to give a talk to PhD students, followed by parallel presentations from students who wish to present their research ideas, research instruments or research findings.
:: Do I have to defend my research proposal?
Yes, research students have to defend their research proposal. Students are required to submit a written thesis proposal and defend their proposal to a committee consisting of two reviewers and a chairperson. The proposal shall include a research topic, and discussions on research problems, research objectives, research scope, research significance, literature review, theoretical framework and research methods. Students will be given a pass, a pass with minor corrections, a pass with major corrections, a rescheduled defence, or a fail. A rescheduled defence must be held within six months from the first defence. Full-time (part-time) PhD students should defend their proposal within the first 12 (18) months from the date of admission.
:: What if I can't defend my proposal within the stipulated time? What should I do?
Full-time (part-time) PhD students who do not defend their proposal within the stipulated time may apply for a 6-month (9-month) extension. You are allowed to apply for the second extension of another 6 months (9 months) if you still cannot defend the proposal within the extended time period. Failing to defend the proposal within 24 (36) months, a student will be terminated. If the extension is needed, you should fill up and send the Extension for Proposal Defence form to the Dean of OYAGSB. Download Form (Application for Extension for proposal Defense)
:: How are students examined? Is there an oral examination (viva voce)?
UUM requires PhD students to submit a PhD thesis in fulfilment of the requirements for the PhD degree. In addition, students are required to defend their thesis at a viva voce. Prior to the viva voce, a Thesis Examination Board will be set up when the supervisor (or the Thesis Committee) decides that the candidate is ready to submit the thesis for examination. The Thesis Examination Board comprises of a Chairman, an External Examiner and an Internal Examiner. At the end of the viva voce, students will be given a pass, or a pass with minor revision, or a Conditional Pass with major revision, or a Rescheduled Examination, or a Master of Philosophy (M.Phil), or a fail.
:: What if I can't complete my study within the stipulated time?
If you are enrolled on a full-time basis for a PhD degree, you will be required to complete in a maximum of five years of full-time study. If you are enrolled for a PhD degree on a part-time basis throughout your enrolment, you will be required to complete in a maximum of seven years. An extension of time beyond the maximum may be sought from the OYAGSB Academic Committee. To apply for an extension, you should write a letter asking for an extension of time and stating the reasons for the application. Your request must be accompanied by a supporting statement from your supervisor and should be addressed to the Dean, Othman Yeop Abdullah Graduate School of Business. Only one specified extension of time is permitted, except for in exceptional circumstances. An extension cannot exceed 12 months, and is unlikely to be granted simply because you are having difficulties meeting deadlines. In an application for an extension you must point to specific, unusual factors that have caused delays. You need to be aware that the absence of your supervisor would not normally be regarded as grounds for an extension. The absence of your supervisor could only be used as grounds for an extension in special unusual circumstances, where the absence is unforeseen, sudden and due to critical circumstances. If your supervisor is to be absent from the campus for a period during a critical phase of your research, you would be advised to approach your supervisor well in advance to discuss the arrangements made to cover his or her absence.
:: Can I defer my study for some reasons?
There are two types of deferment. i. Applicants who have been accepted into a PhD programme but have not registered can opt to defer their registration by sending in a written application to the Dean (OYAGSB). The period of deferment cannot exceed one (1) semester. ii. Students who have registered as a PhD student can request to defer their programme of study by sending a written application to the Dean. However, you will need to set out the circumstances and your case should be supported by your supervisor, and accompanied by evidence of the critical circumstances on which your application is based. Deferment can be allowed for a period of not less than one (1) semester but not exceeding two (2) semesters during the entire duration of your study. The period of deferment will not be computed as part of the period of study.
Download Form (Application for Deferment of Study)
:: What if I can't work or get along with my supervisor? What should I do?
Yes, you have the right to change your supervisor. To apply for a change of a supervisor, you should fill up the "Application for Change of Supervisor" form. Download Form (Application for Change of Supervisor). In the form, you are to set out the reason(s) for the change. Both the releasing and the accepting supervisors have to sign the form, indicating that they agree with the change.
:: What if I want to change to another PhD area of concentration or programme? What should I do?
You are allowed to change the area of concentration or programme only once during his/her study. An application to change the area of concentration/programme must be made within the first two (2) semesters of his/her candidature. An approval for a new area of concentration/programme is effective on the following semester. You must fill up the change of programme form. Application to change an area of concentration/programme must be approved by the Dean (OYAGSB).
:: How much does it cost to do a PhD at OYAGSB?
The total cost of the PhD programme varies by whether the students are locals, or from ASEAN or non-ASEAN countries. For a full-time study duration of three years for example, the estimated total costs are: RM16,826 for a local student, RM23,180 for an ASEAN student, and RM24,970 for a non-ASEAN student. Click here to learn more about the details of the cost.
:: Does UUM provide any financial support such as teaching assistant or graduate assistant?
No, UUM does not provide any financial assistance at the moment. However, international students may apply for a scholarship offered by the Ministry of Higher Education. Please browse the ministry website for details.
:: Does UUM provide in-campus accommodation for international students?
Yes, but the places are very limited. The accommodation fee ranges from RM250/semester for a 4 person/room to RM1200/semester for a university house. Applications for any types of accommodation can be made on the first day of registration. Alternatively, you may rent a house at a nearby town, Changlun, which is about 10 kilometres from UUM. The rental fee ranges from RM350 to RM500 per month.
:: What are the admission requirements to do a PhD at OYAGSB?
Admission into our PhD programme can be granted based on the criteria specified below:
- A Master's degree from institutions of higher learning recognised by the University Senate; OR
- A Bachelor's degree with a CGPA of 3.5 or above from institutions of higher learning recognised by the University Senate; OR
- Any other equivalent qualification recognised by the University Senate.
- Fulfils the English Language requirements.
- Applicants are expected to have sufficient research skills and knowledge as deemed appropriate by the Academic Committee. Students are required to enrol and pass the following two (2) courses:
- SZRZ6014 Research Methodology
- SCLE6014 Academic Writing
- Any other courses determined by the supervisor or Academic Committe (If any)
:: What type of English language requirements do we need to fulfil?
International applicants must have the English language proficiency through one of the following criteria:
- Minimum score in the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
- 550 in the TOEFL Paper Based Test; or
- 213 in the TOEFL Computer Based Test; or
- 80 in the TOEFL Internet Based Test; or
- Minimum score of 6.0 in the International English Language Testing System (IELTS); or
- A degree from any English Speaking Countries (i.e. Australia, Canada, New Zealand, United Kingdom, and United States of America).
- A degree from any Country with English Language Education System (i.e. Anguilla, Antigua & Barbuda, Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Bermuda, Botswana, British Indian Ocean Territory, British Virgin Islands, Cameroon, Canada, Cayman Island, Dominica, Falkland Islands, Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, Gambia, Ghana, Gibraltar, Grenada, Guam, Guernsey, Guyana, India, Ireland, Isle of Man, Jamaica, Jersey, Kenya, Kiribati, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malta, Marshall Islands, Mauritius, Montserrat, Namibia, Nauru, New Zealand, Nigeria, Pakistan, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, Rwanda, Saint Helena, Saint Kitts & Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Singapore, Solomon Islands, South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Trinidad & Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands, U.S Virgin Islands, Uganda, United Kingdom, USA, Zambia, and Zimbabwe); or
- A degree from any Local Public Universities, which English is the medium of Instruction.
:: Do we need to submit our intent of study with the application?
Yes, to ensure that a potential candidate is ready for a PhD journey, you are also required to prepare a research proposal between 25 – 30 pages [Font Type: Times New Roman; Font Size: 12; Spacing: Double], which comprise of the followings:
- Background of Study, Problem Statement, Research Questions, Research Objectives, and Significance of the Study
- Literature Review
- Research Framework
:: Do we need to find a supervisor before we apply to do PhD at UUM OYAGSB?
Students pursuing a PhD programme will be guided by one supervisor, or by one main supervisor and a co-supervisor, or a Thesis Committee comprising at least three (3) members. Prior to sending the application, prospective students are advised to search for the supervisor(s), communicate with them and get their approval of becoming a supervisor. Please visit our Directory of Experts to look for potential supervisors. UUM has many experts in various fields who are ready to supervise potential candidates. Send emails to several academic staff you identified form the website. You must complete and submit an application form together with your intent of study and evidence of the supervisor's approval to the Admission Unit, OYAGSB.
:: Is there any other information that I need to know?
Yes, there are several other requirements imposed by UUM especially to the international students.
- All international students must have an insurance coverage prior to the registration. The cost of the insurance plan ranges from RM385 – RM600 per student per year depending on the plan chosen by the students. For a family coverage (student, spouse and children), the premium would be in the range of RM685 – RM1500 per family per year. For family members other than described above, they would be required to buy their individual insurance plan from the designated insurance carrier.
- International students are also required to pay a student a bond (ranges between RM500 – RM2000 depending on the origin of your country) on the registration day, which will be refunded upon completion of their study.
- The Ministry of Higher Education of Malaysia has stipulated that all international students should undergo medical examination before they are allowed to register. The charge for medical examination and blood test is RM200.00 per student. If you have the following diseases, you may not be accepted to register as a student: HIV, Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C, Japanese encephalitis, SARS, and Avian Flu.
:: Whom should I contact if I need to know further details about the PhD programme?
You can visit the OYA-GSB website at www.oyagsb.uum.edu.my for more detailed information. Alternatively, you can email us at email@example.com, or call us at+6 04-928 7113 or +604-928 7120.